Activity 2 - Facts on Aging
This is a quick quiz to test your knowledge about aging. You have 5 minutes to complete it. Read each question and then answer True or False. Don't over-think it. No one is going to see your answers. Just give the first answer that seems right to you.
You can check your answers against the answers now shown beside each question.
- What surprised you?
- In what ways has your understanding of aging been changed or challenged?
- In what ways has your idea or image of yourself as an older adult been changed or challenged?
- The purpose of these first two activities was to encourage you to reflect on your own aging.
- Whether we admit it or not, most of us have sterotypes about aging and older adults.
- Sterotypes are simply collections of beliefs that we use to categorize and process information. And they are not necessarily bad.
- Some sterotypes about older adults can even be good - for example, seniors are wise, seniors are kind, seniors are safe drivers.
- The problem with stereotypes is that thye an become over-generalized and over-used.